Learning how to develop a global internship program provides a valuable opportunity to both your company and the international students looking to train in the United States. An internship provides a recent graduate with the chance to gain experience and expertise in the industry. At the same time, it gives you the opportunity to get to know someone who will be an asset to your team.
In any given year, nearly 300,000 J-1 visas are issued, which is the visa needed for global interns working in the United States..
Learning how to develop an internship program can improve your international profile. At Intrax Global Internships, we’ve helped both interns and a wide range of companies create global connections and mutual benefits. We can help you find the top talent to fill your need, providing you with a partnership, as well as support for the interns you choose to hire.
In this guide, we share tips and expectations for developing your internship program, such as:
- Learning more about global internships
- Finding the intern for your company’s needs
- Setting expectations for your global internships
- Working with Intrax to connect to global intern prospects
What is a Global Internship?
A global internship program is a valuable way to pair global talent with the needs of your business. You need someone to add talent to your team, and a global intern is the perfect person to do it! There are both long-term and short-term benefits of diversity recruitment strategies for both you and your intern.
Experience the benefits of global internship programs, such as:
- Recognize opportunities to delegate
- Mentor and teach someone in a professional setting
- Get a fresh perspective
- Create a hiring pipeline to fill future global roles
- Add value to your team
- Access cost-effective hiring options
- Discover full-time and long-term global employees
An intern can be placed in many different job types. The requirements for a J-1 visa intern are that they are learning a skilled trade and not just acting as your phone receptionist. There are a number of industries that can develop an internship program, including:
- Construction and Building
- Sciences (engineering, architecture, mathematics, industrial, etc.)
- Social Sciences
- Commerce and Finance
- Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing
- Arts and Culture
- Public Administration and Law
- Informational Media and Communications
A global internship program is an opportunity to bridge cultures, while filling a need for both your company and your interns.
How to Develop an Internship Program in 5 Simple Steps
If you’re feeling intimidated by getting started, you will be relieved to know the process is simple once you understand the basic details. You have the flexibility to design the program in a way that works best for you.
Intrax is here to help you through the visa process for your interns, matching you with the right candidates. Request information to see how we can best assist you in connecting with the right people for your intern positions.
As a company, you will have access to our database of possible interns to choose the best fit. We can’t wait to help you connect!
The five simple steps to follow include:
- Define goals for an internship program
- Follow any necessary legalities
- Determine intern positions and needs
- Develop an application process
- Find the right intern
Define Goals for an Internship Program
There are many ways to create goals that work for your industry. The goals that your business incorporates will be unique based on your business needs. Consider what your goals are for this program and what you want to accomplish.
Work with your team to determine just how you want this role to look and the best ways to make it a success for your company. You can shape your global internship program to be the perfect fit.
Ask these questions as you create goals for your new intern program:
- What are the fiscal goals of the company?
- How will interns provide value to the business and employees?
- Can the business and employees provide value to an intern?
- How can you pair your goals with prospective interns and their goals?
- Do any social or cultural factors play a role in the goals of your intern program?
- Do you see the potential to hire an international intern permanently (in their home country)?
Establishing an intern-to-employee pipeline can build a stronger, global workforce for your company going forward.
Follow Necessary Legalities
As you prepare to develop an internship program, there are legalities to be aware of. How do you qualify to sponsor interns? What can the interns do for employers? Get to know the rules and requirements of the J-1 visa program for your global internship program to be successful. These J-1 visa employer requirements will help you form your internship program correctly.
Partnering with a J-1 visa program sponsor can ensure your interns are legally able to train in the United States. We help your interns acquire this visa. As a designated sponsor, we work to provide the following legal and additional assistance:
- J-1 visa acquisition and approval
- Medical insurance
- Legal compliance
- Evaluation of English proficiency
- Continued program support
Determine Intern Positions and Needs
Hiring international students through an internship program should be well-planned. Consider how you can choose the best fit for your company. Are you filling a front-facing role, such as sales or outreach? In this scenario, finding an international intern with strong interpersonal skills should be a priority.
Consider qualities that meet the needs of your position, such as:
- Eager and willing to make new connections
- Driven to improve language skills and build relationships
- Motivated to build professional experience and learn as much as possible
- Intent on sharing their knowledge and skills with the right company
- Dedicated to be an asset to your company in anyway they can
As a company, meeting with a team to determine what type of position the intern can fill and what your needs are will keep your internship program on track. Keep in mind that an intern under a J-1 visa program is providing assistance with the intention of learning a skilled trade or position. Providing a clear purpose or goal for your intern position can attract more applicants and interest to fill the role.
Develop an Application Process
Once you determine the needs of your internship program and how you plan to fill the role, your next step is creating an application process for screening purposes. Consider matching your application process to the needs of your company. Hiring a software engineer? Tailor your search to interns with skills and interest in this category.
We can work with you to determine the best recruiting processes to begin receiving applications. Common methods for receiving internship applications include:
- Industry job fairs
- Social media talent searches
- Current employee referrals
- University career centers
- Online job boards
Find the Right Intern
As applications begin coming in, develop a process to choose the right intern for the team. How will you narrow down the search and interview with prospects? We provide a database of intern prospects for you to find the best fit when hiring international students to fill the role.
How will your team pinpoint the right intern to fill the role?
- Appoint an advisory council or hiring team to make final decisions.
- Set hard lines on qualities an intern must have.
- Define the steps you will take to find the right fit.
- Carefully review the pool of applicants and interview prospects.
Determining how you will find the right intern and what process to follow is a crucial part of how to develop an internship program.
How to Find High-Quality Interns to Fill the Role
Global recruitment is a must when you develop an internship program.. The further you expand your search, the more value you can add to your team.
Recruiting globally with multiple networks can connect you to top international talent. You can use these steps to find high-quality candidates:
- Know your goals.
- Determine the type of intern who will be the best fit.
- Utilize networking opportunities and global recruitment strategies.
- Connect with intern prospects and build relationships.
Put our Intrax Guide to good use for all of your internship program needs. Learn tips about hosting an intern, how a global internship program works, and how Intrax helps with connecting you to interns.
What to Expect from an Internship Program
An internship program can expand your horizons, as well as benefit the interns that come to your company. The internship experience produces valuable benefits for both you and your interns. You gain top talent that can contribute to your company’s growth. In return, your intern will build their skills and grow as professionals.
You control your internship program. At Intrax, we ensure you and your interns align on crucial goals, such as:
- Skill levels
- Professional goals
- Cultural interests
- Company needs
- Intern needs
- Goals for intern and company
What Types of Companies Should Learn How to Develop an Internship Program?
The requirements to qualify for internship programs with international interns are specified by the J-1 visa program as follows:
- A legal public or private organization that is either nonprofit or for-profit.
- Compliance with the J-1 visa objectives.
- Ability to provide support to your international intern while they remain in the US.
- Available financial and administrative resources that can feasibly support the intern program.
Multiple industries can choose to develop an internship program. The goal should be to provide mutual benefits to your interns as they learn a trade while fulfilling a role that your company needs.
The most common global internship program industries include:
- Agriculture, forestry, or fishing
- Arts and culture
- Construction and building
- Education, social sciences, library science, counseling, and social services
- Hospitality and tourism
- Information media and communications
- Management, business, commerce, and finance
- Public administration and law
- Sciences, engineering, architecture, mathematics, and industrial occupations
No matter your industry, global internship programs can add value to your company. Find the perfect talent fit while building your intern’s resume and experience.
How Can Intrax Global Internships Help?
Intrax Global Internships is dedicated to assisting in the process of building connections between cultures. Our mission is to provide high-quality educational and work programs connecting like minds together, inspiring personal growth for the individual and the company, and preparing both to find success.
Intrax has built an extensive network of interns, sponsors, and companies with a presence across more than 100 countries around the world. We’ve placed more than 21,000 Exchange Visitors each year in different programs and have learned the best ways to match companies and prospects together for a great fit!
Founded in 1980, we’ve served more than 500,000 participants.
We can help through processes such as:
- J-1 Visa sponsorship and processing
- Matching interns with internship opportunities
- Build connections using our extensive network
- Cater to a variety of different internship industries
Partnering with Intrax offers valuable benefits to your company, including:
J-1 Visa Sponsor
The J-1 visa is necessary for international interns to attend your program in the USA. The visa is applicable to providing internship and training experience to an individual enrolled in the program. The US designed this visa specifically for this purpose, providing a limited period of time for the intern to remain in the country. A J-1 visa sponsor can help navigate the process.
Pairing Interns and Internships Together
Companies building a diverse program need a process to find the perfect match. With Intrax Global Internships on your side, navigating the legalities and pairing with the right match becomes easier. Companies can add talent that fits their needs and their goals.
Thanks to our time in the industry, we’ve built an extensive network of partners. We’ve also been approved for the J-1 sponsorship program since 2003. This allows us to provide you access to our connections to our global networks to meet your internship needs.
Types of Internships
Internships and intern positions don’t have to fit into a neat little box. They cover almost all industries and types of employment We provide specialized internship opportunities for:
As a company, you have the ability to build your internship program in a way that meets your company’s branding, goals, and specific needs. A global internship allows you to build your brand, expand your marketplace, and invest in your intern’s career in a meaningful way.
Learn How to Develop an Internship Program with Us
Developing an internship program requires knowing your company needs, setting intern preferences, and hiring the right fit for your team. Once you set your goals for your internship program, we get to work finding the top interns to fill your talent pool.
With Intrax Global Internships, we connect you to a wide variety of intern prospects to ensure you find the best match. Building a successful internship program is about finding the right fit for you as a company, as well as for the intern you are hiring. We want you to build a steady foundation and reap the mutual benefits of a well-placed intern within your team.
How can we help you as you develop your intern program? Apply to be a partner and let’s start working toward your goals.