J-1 Visa Application Process for Participants
Steps to apply
Complete Our Online Application
Submit Required Documents
Pay Program Fees
Host Company Confirms
Obtain Your J-1 Visa
Detailed steps to apply
1: Complete Our Online DS-2019 Application
When you are ready to begin the process of applying for your J-1 Visa with Intrax, please complete our online DS-2019 application. The Form DS-2019 serves as your official Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status and will be required for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
You will need to have the following information ready before you begin the online application:
- Start date of your internship/training
- End date of your internship/training
- Host Company Street Address
- Host Company Website Address
- Host Company Contact Person (hiring manager or direct supervisor)
- Host Company Contact Phone Number
- Host Company Contact Email Address
You will be charged a non-refundable fee after you submit your application. The application fee can be paid by credit card via our secure online form and will be deducted from your total program fees.
If you have dependents that will be applying for the J-2 Visa, you will also have the opportunity to enter their information at this time.
2: Submit Required Documents
After your application has been accepted, you should complete and submit the required documents listed below. These documents must be received by Intrax before your DS-2019 form will be issued.
- Host Company Agreement: Intrax will email this document directly to your Host Company. The Host Company is required to complete and return the Host Company Agreement to Intrax.
- Internship Placement Plan (for Internship participants only): Complete this placement plan with your Host Company, and submit to Intrax. You will be provided with a final copy to sign later in the application process.
- Training Placement Plan (for Training participants only): Complete this placement plan with your Host Company, and submit to Intrax. You will be provided with a final copy to sign later in the application process.
- Test Podium English Test Results: Complete this free, online English test and send your test results to Intrax. We are also happy to accept most internationally recognized English test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC…)
- University or College Diploma/Certificate or Proof of Enrollment (optional for some trainees): Obtain a copy of your diploma, certificate, or proof of enrollment from your university or college and submit to Intrax.
- A copy of your current resume/CV.
- A copy of your passport: Biographical page only.
3: Pay Program Fees
Once Intrax has received confirmation of your placement from your Host Company and you have submitted all of your required documents, you will be invoiced for the remainder of your program fees. Please visit our Pricing and Eligibility section for more information on these payment options and procedures.
4: Host Company Confirms Placement
As soon as your application has been submitted, Intrax will send an email to your Host Company to confirm your internship and verify the company's contact information. Be sure to communicate with your Host Company in advance to let them know that Intrax (your sponsor) will be contacting them via email to schedule a brief validation telephone call and advise them to respond to this email within 2 weeks. If they do not respond within 2 weeks, Intrax cannot confirm the placement and the process cannot move forward.
5: Intrax Conducts Pre-Departure Orientation
Intrax will contact you to schedule a program orientation that will include valuable information on living in the USA, rules and regulations for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, and guidance on applying and interviewing for the J-1 Visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
6: Intrax Issues DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility)
After your payment and all of your application materials have been received, and Intrax has received confirmation of your placement from your Host Company, Intrax will process and issue your DS 2019 form within four weeks. The DS-2019 form will be sent to you via FedEx.
7: Interview at U.S. Embassy or Consulate
After you receive your DS-2019, you can schedule your visa interview at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The Embassy or Consulate will review your DS-2019 and supporting documentation to make the final decision on granting your J-1 Visa.
Please note that a small percentage of visa applications are denied each year. If you are denied a visa by the Embassy or Consulate, you will be eligible for a refund. Please read our refund policy for more details.
8: Obtain Your J-1 Visa
Once your J-1 Visa application is approved, you will receive a visa foil in your passport. In some locations, you will receive your visa foil on the same day of your visa interview. In other locations, your passport with your visa will be returned to you via post.
If your J-1 Visa application is denied, you may be able to appeal. Because the visa process varies by country, we suggest that you refer to the website of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for more information on J-1 Visa policies and procedures.