Safety and Health


Business Internships

All our Business Interns have the support of Intrax staff members, both at our U.S. headquarters and overseas while you're interning. All of our overseas staff have lived, studied, or worked abroad themselves, giving them great understanding of your questions and concerns while living and interning abroad. In addition, all of our pre-departure orientations and materials are created specifically to help you prepare for life abroad during your internship. Program fees for all Business Interns include health and accident insurance in case you become sick or injured when abroad. Our Premium Placement Business interns also have 24-hour emergency support, provided by our in-country staff.

Social Development Internships

Safety on every one of our Social Development internships begins within our host communities, who offer a great degree of community support to each of our interns. Our staff is on the ground and available to help with any safety concern or support question. They’re a great resource to our interns for local information and safety tips.

Throughout each program, Intrax relies on many resources to assess and respond to the specific health and safety needs of each participant including:

  • On-site Program Directors, in-country staff, and cooperating institutions
  • Local health care professionals and facilities
  • Health background and needs of individual participants
  • US, UK and local government advisories from each site 
  • Centers for Disease Control 

All Intrax interns receive health and travel insurance, providing additional protection and security.


All Program Directors carry cell phones and communicate regularly with on-site participants, staff members, and the Intrax headquarters. Email and phone communication are available for staff at all country headquarters. An emergency contact person is available 24 hours a day at every site for participants and families.

Travel Research 

We also recommend that all participants take time to learn more about travel, disease control and advisories in the country they'll be working in by visiting their Foreign Ministry's website for any travel information or advisories. Read about the latest travel warnings, consular information sheets, and public announcements. You can also find valuable travel tips for students and women traveling alone. You can find contact information for your country's local embassy or consulate in the country you will be visiting. If you need information for obtaining or renewing your passport, you can get that here as well.


  • Visit Centers for Disease Control section for Traveler's Health for the latest health-related travel warnings, recommendations for immunizations, and important information about safe food and water in the country you will be visiting. Certain vaccines and medications may be suggested by the CDC, depending on where you will be interning. We recommend you visit a travel physician or your family physician before you leave for your trip abroad at least 4-6 weeks in advance.
  • The World Health Organization provides health-related information for international travelers. The International Travel and Health section of the site offers insightful suggestions on the precautions one can take before, during, and after international travel. The site is well-organized and allows you to search for specific information on the country or countries you will be visiting.